You are here:

V-Studio 100

On March 10th, 2012, I downloaded a driver for my Roland v-studio 100 audio sound card to install on my new IMac which I received last Tuesday March 6, 2010.  I have been using this audio card for two years for music production and recording on the Pc platform, and, after receiving my Mac, I wanted to install the Mac driver to operate the card on the Mac OS platform as well as the Windows Platform on the same unit.

It's been quite some time since I downloaded the Windows version, and, up until now, I didn’t feel the need to download the new version of the driver, which is v1.0.0.  I downloaded the driver from the Roland web site at www.rolandus.com/products.  Once there, I proceeded to go to the V-studio 100 page, then went to the download link, and finally followed the instructions to download the Mac version of the driver.

After downloading the Mac version to my system, I proceeded to open the zip file folder, extract it, and then, as I always do, I examine  the readme file to find out if there are any changes to both the driver and audio panel interface.  To my disappointment, when I proceeded to read the file, all I got from Voiceover and Jaws was a series of inaccessible frames that I assume contain text.

To confirm my findings, I also proceeded to use the Convenient OCR feature in the latest version of Jaws 13.  Once again, to my disappointment, the file was not readable to Jaws.  I then proceeded to use the Voiceover cursor to scan the screen, but, once again, no luck.  I decided at this point not to install the Mac version of the driver until I can get a hold of a close friend and contact at Roland to see if he can help me out.

Finally, I left a message for my close friend and contact at Roland Canada asking him to call me back to possibly find a solution.

At this point, I cross my fingers that there will be a solution and that the file can be made accessible.  Sure, I could simply install the driver and take a chance, but I figure, if the readme file is inaccessible, the audio panel interface is only going to be worse, meaning that I might not be able to use the sound card and manipulate the controls in the card to do my Job.

In this situation, the problem doesn’t stem from Roland Canada, nor Roland US, but rather Roland Japan where they make all the final decisions as to product releases, whether accessible or not.

It’s been quite some time that I have been dealing with Roland, and I’ve had strong relations with them, including giving them my input on accessibility, and telling them whether the interfaces they design are accessible or not.  The Canada division of Roland has been very accommodating to my needs, and they have seriously taking my suggestions to heart.  In most cases, Roland designs their products to be quite accessible, but I’ve noticed, in the last year or so, that the accessibility to their products has declined somewhat.  To show Roland a strong continued support, I was even featured in a two part series as a witness as to how their products have made me in to a successful musician.

I seriously don’t want to be searching for another audio card interface, but if push comes to shove, I may just have to do so, as I need to get back to work in producing and writing and teaching music.

As stated above, I’m hopeful that a resolution will be found.

Stay tuned for a future blog post on this issue.

Disclaimer:

This blog is curated by the AEBC, but welcomes contributions from members and non-members alike. The thoughts, views, and opinions expressed in the Blind Canadians Blog are those of the contributing authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the AEBC, its members, or any of its donors and partners.

Comments

I truly thank you for your input.
What you have suggested is definetly taken into consideration, and in the end, i ended up following that route. After 1 1/2 hours of trying to install the card on both my mac pro and imcac it did not install, it froze.
I will be contacting the vendor tomorrow to find possible solutions, and if it isn't successful i will have to change the card.
I will keep this blog updated with regards to the accessibility of the read me file.

I'm wondering if you could test the accessibility by installing the card as a different user on the machine. It's possible to create more than one account and to give the other ones administrative privileges.

Another option may be to create a back up image on an external hard drive and simply reinstall from the back up if you find the new set up inaccessible.

I'm not sure if you've thought of these options but decided they won't work for some reason. If not, it may be a way of testing accessibility while you're waiting for your friend to get back to you.

ZZ - Disregard this link; it is used to trick spammers.