You are here:

Government Photo Identification

Friday, October 21, 2011


Table of Contents:
Alberta Page 2
British Columbia Page 2
Manitoba Page 3
New Brunswick Page3
Newfoundland and Labrador Page 4
Northwest Territories Page 4
Nova Scotia Page 5
Nunavut Page 5
Ontario Page 6
Prince Edward Island Page 6
Quebec Page 6
Saskatchewan Page 7
Yukon Page 7


Alberta Identification Card: An Alberta photo identification card (ID card) is available to Alberta residents who do not or cannot hold a valid Alberta operator's licence and who are 12 years old and over. Applicants under the age of 18 must bring a parent or guardian with them. Five (5) year term.

Obtain from: Alberta Registries offices

Identification Card – First Application or Renewal:
 1-year $8 plus maximum service charge of $6
 2-years $16 plus maximum service charge of $7
 3-years $24 plus maximum service charge of $8
 4-years $32 plus maximum service charge of $9
 5-years $40 plus maximum service charge of $9

Duplicate Identification Card: $13 plus maximum service charge of $9

Note: All registries offices are private and the fees fluctuate between them.




BC Identification Cards: Available to citizens over the age of 12. Parental consent if applicant is under the age of 19.

Obtain from: Any driver licensing office

BC Identification Cards (BCID):
 Original (valid for five years): $35
 Replacement or renewal: $15
 Seniors (65+): $15
 Seniors who exchange their driver’s licence for a BCID: Free
 Renewal for recipients of B.C. Benefits (please bring recent cheque stub or letter from Ministry on letterhead): Free

Enhanced Identification Card (EIC):
 Original (valid for five years): $70
 5-year renewal: $50
 Original for Seniors (65+): $50
 Replacement EIC for address change, name change, lost or stolen card: $25
 Upgrade BCID to an EIC outside renewal period (includes 65+): $50




Option 1: Enhanced Identification Card (EIC): The Manitoba EIC is a voluntary provincial photo identification card that denotes identity and citizenship. It can be used for land and water travel into the U.S. Canadian citizens 16 and over who reside in Manitoba are eligible (some restrictions apply).

 If applicant already has driver’s license or Manitoba Identification Card: $30
 New application: $50
 Valid for up to 5 years
 No replacement charge for stolen cards with a police report

Option 2: Manitoba Identification Card: A voluntary, government issued, secure photo identification card that you can use to prove your identity, age and Manitoba residency. It costs $20, including a photograph and is valid for five years.

Fee: $20
 No replacement charge for stolen cards with a police report

Obtain both cards from: Manitoba Public Insurance

The Manitoba Identification Card is not an acceptable document to enter the U.S. For more information, see the Manitoba Identification Card brochure. Non-drivers could choose to hold either a Manitoba Identification Card or EIC but not both.

Note: The card or document you pick depends on your needs.




Photo Identification Card: Available to residents of New Brunswick for use as identification when they do not hold a valid drivers’ license. No age restriction. Valid for four (4) years.

Obtain from: Service New Brunswick

 Photo ID: $40
 Replacement: $15
 Unless otherwise specified, fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST)
 Contact SNB (Payment Only):




Government services – website:

Photo Identification Card (ID Card): The identification card is accepted for all purposes for which proof of identification is required under any act of this province, such as purchase of liquor, cigarettes, etc.

Fee: $25
Valid for 5 years




General Identification Card (GIC): The Northwest Territories General Identification Card (GIC) is a secure photo identification card that can be issued to any resident of the
Northwest Territories who is 12 years of age or older. A General Identification Card expires on the first birthday after it has been held for five years, and thereafter every five years on your birthday.

Obtain from: Driver and Vehicle Licensing Offices

 First time issue or renewal: $33.48
 Lost/stolen replacement: $18.48
 Lost/stolen replacement – Senior Citizen: #13.48




Nova Scotia Identification Card: Anyone in Nova Scotia (including children) who wants proof of age or an identity card with a photo. This card is often needed in order to take part in age-restricted activities (for example, attending certain movies) or purchasing age-restricted products (for example, alcohol, or tobacco products, etc.).

Obtain from: Registry of Motor Vehicles/Access Nova Scotia office at
Phone: (902) 424-5851 or if calling long distance, call 1-800-898-7668 (toll-free)
E-mail: Send us an e-mail through our online enquiry form.
Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations
PO Box 1652
Halifax, NS B3J 2Z3
Fax: (902) 424-0720

 Nova Scotia Identification Card: $16.27
 Replacement N.S. Identification Card: $16.27
 Name Change: $16.27 (New Identification Card must be applied for)
 Address Change: Free (if you want new address on your existing license, you may apply for a replacement card and pay the applicable fee)




General Identification Card: Nunavut has a GIC (General Identification Card) but the application process is not available online. Please see the attached PDF form which has to be completed and mailed in.

Obtain from: Motor Vehicles Division, Department of EDT – for more information, please call: (867) 360-4615 or (867) 645-8466 or (867) 975-7840




Ontario Photo Card: Ontario introduced a new photo card that will provide government-issued identification to more than 1.5 million Ontarians who do not drive. The Ontario photo card makes it easier for non-drivers to perform everyday transactions such as cashing a cheque or returning merchandise to a store. The voluntary card was launched on July 25, 2011 and is available to individuals 16 years of age and over who do not hold a driver's licence.

Obtain from: ServiceOntario centres that offer photo card services. By December 31, 2012, all 300 ServiceOntario centres will provide the Ontario Photo Card application service.

Fee: $35
Valid for 5 years




Voluntary Identification (ID) Card: Voluntary Identification (ID) Cards are for people (adults or children) who: need proof of their identity; are residents of PEI; and do not have a PEI Driver's Licence.

Obtain from: Access PEI location

For more information or to find out about fees, please call: 902-368-6225 or 902- 432-2714




No Identification Card: The province of Quebec does not have a non-driver drivers licence at this time.

The three accepted photo Identification cards accepted in Quebec at this time include:
 Quebec health card
 Quebec drivers licence
 A valid passport



Photo Drivers Licence and ID: A photo identification card is available for all residents of Saskatchewan regardless of whether or not the individual is a licenced driver.

Obtain from: Saskatchewan Insurance Agencies in Saskatoon or Dundurn

Photo Identification Card for individuals with valid Saskatchewan driver’s license: Free
Replacement photo Identification card: $10
Non-drivers photo Identification card: $10
Same-day service: $10




General Identification Card: Yukon now offers both a secure driver's licence and a secure general identification card so that all Yukon residents can have government-issued, secure ID. The general identification card is government-issued photo identification for Yukon residents of all ages, especially those who do not have a driver's

Obtain from: Motor Vehicles at:
Main Floor, Lynn Building
308 Steele Street
Hours of Operation:
8:30am to 5:00pm
Telephone: 867-667-5315
Toll free (in Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, local 5315

Five-year general identification card: $25
Replacement fee: $15 (and the expiry date for the replacement card will be the same as it was on the original card)